November 6, 2009

SELF ~ INDULGENCE ... butter, kisses, stargazing and silk

I admit it ... I'm good at this. Perhaps too good. But, I notice a definite wariness in this country of indulging oneself, even more so in the current economic climate. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting you go spend buckets of money you don't have on fleeting pleasures (although fleeting pleasures are some of the finest!). My belief is that, when we treat ourselves as special beings, we bring out the best we have to give and go forth smiling from within. Denying oneself pleasure just for the sake of it does no one any good.

We all have our pleasures ~ WHY must they be "guilty"? Maybe the Puritans and Pilgrims did too complete a job of convincing Americans that we must suffer for our rewards. In that case, there must have been one hell of a confession/penance/guilt fest over that first Thanksgiving feast! HA! Stuffing, fowl and self-flagellation. What fun!


Several years ago, I brought a package of fine pastry to work with me. When it was time for my break, I brought it out, put it on a plate, made myself some Darjeeling tea in a pretty cup and took it outside to enjoy. I read my new book and, for fifteen minutes, was a world away in a happy cloud. When I came back inside, my friend said, "You know, Gayle, I admire you for being good to yourself. I always save the nice cookies and good things for company. You've inspired me to have some for myself." I said, "Yes! For NO reason! Do it!" It's such a little thing, but it can make you feel so good. The French understand this very well.


Friends of mine who are single often tell me that there isn't any point in cooking just for themselves. But there IS a point. It is another way of loving yourself, honoring your worth, caring for yourself the way that, so often, we are willing to do for others while neglecting our own well-being. And that... will eventually catch up with you, showing you through illness or dis-ease of heart that you're ignoring your core. Give yourself those moments of joy ~ whether it's meditation, smoking a fine cigar, reading till the wee hours (on a work night), eating that flaky pastry with a smile, staying in your jammies all day (maybe even with a special someone) ... whatever makes your heart warm and fuzzy and restores you.

The other day, I listened to Nigella Lawson expound on indulgences and I couldn't agree more! Listen to her radio interview here, and find the recipes, too.


So, what will YOU do for yourself today ?

No comments:

ShareThis

Creative Commons License
Aspenglow / Buttered Lips by Gayle Nabrotzky is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license may be available at www.passionate-psyche.blogspot.com.